Red Velvet Belgian Waffles with Cream Cheese Glaze
6 Belgian Waffles
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 5 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3/4 Teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup Buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tablespoons Liquid Red Food Coloring (or gel to the desired color)
- 6 Ounces Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 6 Tablespoons Butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ Cups Powdered sugar
- ¼ to ½ Cup Milk, Whole or 2%
Preheat the waffle iron.
In a large bowl, combine and blend the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Blend in the vanilla extract. Gradually add the powdered sugar while blending. Continue to blend while slowly adding the desired amount of milk. (Note: You can control the consistency of the glaze by slowly adding the milk.) Set aside.
Combine and sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs. Add the buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla extract, and food coloring. Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients. Whisk just until the batter comes together. Pour the manufacturer’s recommended amount of batter onto the waffle iron and cook until done. For crispier waffles, turn up the browning control and/or leave the waffles on the iron for another minute or so.
Pour the desired amount of cream cheese glaze over each waffle and serve immediately.